Do You Need Planning Permission for Garden Buildings - Crown Pavilions
Luxury Wooden Guinevere PavilionLuxury Wooden Hampton PavilionBespoke Garden Room by Crown PavilionsNEW Proud Sponsors of the St George’s Hill Lawn Tennis Club.Bespoke Garden Room by Crown PavilionsHampton Luxury Wooden GazeboProud Sponsors of the London and Southampton Boat ShowEdward Luxury Wooden GazeboProud Sponsors of the Burghley Horse Trials

Do You Need Planning Permission for Garden Buildings

Garden buildings (which include garden rooms, granny annexes, carports with accommodation above, luxury wooden gazebos and log cabins) are growing in popularity. People are increasingly looking to utilise their gardens to extend their living space and are in fact using their gardens as an extension of their homes. In a time where property prices are at all time high and with uncertainty in the market place, instead of moving people are now utilising their gardens to provide extra usable living space and functionality to their homes and lifestyles. From fully insulated garden rooms which may be used as a home gym, a home office, teenage den, cinema and bar room, pool house or an all year-round family entertaining space, to luxury wooden gazebos for all year-round dining, entertaining, relaxing, reading and social occasions… the uses for garden buildings are endless!

Multiple award winners Crown Pavilions not only manufacture and install a wide range of insulated garden rooms and hand-made luxury wooden gazebos, but also have a team of internal chartered architects, design team and consultants who are always on hand to give advice and guide you throughout the entire process when choosing a garden building.

A commonly asked question we face from customers looking to invest in a garden building is “Do I need planning permission for my garden room?” so we’ve put together a useful guide to planning permission for garden buildings to help you stay on the right side of the law.

Garden buildings typically fall within permitted development in many cases (meaning planning permission is not required) providing certain criteria is stringently followed. Properties within areas of outstanding natural beauty and conservation areas may still have permitted development rights but we would always advise that either you or a professional company carefully checks this. We have had situations whereby permitted development has been granted and in other similar areas planning permission has been required. This is an area in which we have great knowledge and expertise, and should you need any advice please feel free to contact us; we’re happy to help!

Please note that building regulations and building control are separate to permitted development and planning permission. Typically, buildings under a 30 metres squared foot print will not require building regs and building control approval unless there are controlled service points internally, this includes: water, waste and drainage (again, our architects at Crown Pavilions can advise you further should you decide to use our services).


Things to Consider

Here are some questions that we would ask you to ascertain if your building will fall within permitted development or will require planning permission:

  • Do you live in a listed building? This is an important point as garden buildings going into a garden or the curtilage of a listed building will most likely require planning permission. Listed buildings are objects or structures that have been judged by Historic England and the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport to be of national importance in terms of architectural or historic interest. These structures, once approved, feature on a dedicated register called the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. It is therefore our recommendation that if you live in a listed property and would like to install a garden building within the garden or curtilage of the property that you consult with an architect or expert in this area to guide you through the process. At Crown Pavilions, we have installed thousands of garden buildings over 14 years and we can help you from start to finish to ensure you obtain all the necessary approvals before starting any works on site.


  • Do you live in any of the following areas, known generally as ‘designated areas’: Conservation Areas, a National Park, an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, a World Heritage Site or the Norfolk or Suffolk Broads (please note: in any of these areas, permitted development rights are more restrictive and you should consult an expert to ensure you obtain the necessary approvals should they be required).
  • Have you used up your permitted development? In many cases, garden buildings will fall with permitted development if you follow the criteria as set out below. However, if you have already carried out building works such as further development and extensions to your home or in some new build properties (where you are in doubt if you still have PD rights) if you want absolute certainty that your garden building has PD rights, you can apply for a ‘Lawful Development Certificate’. This is also something we can help you with if you felt it necessary for your own peace of mind.

Garden Building Planning Permission Criteria

Garden buildings are “permitted development”, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:

  • No outbuilding on land forward of a wall forming the principal elevation. This essentially means your garden building cannot be positioned in front of your main dwelling and still fall within permitted development.
  • Outbuildings and garages are to be a single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and a maximum overall height of four metres with a dual pitched roof or three metres for any other roof.
  • A maximum height of 2.5 metres in the case of a building, enclosure or container within two metres of a boundary of the curtilage of the dwelling-house. This, therefore, means that if your garden building is within 2m of a boundary wall within your garden, the garden building cannot be higher than 2.5m in height from ground level to the top of the roof.
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
  • No more than half the area of land around the “original house”* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • In National Parks, the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites the maximum area to be covered by outbuildings, enclosures, containers and pools more than 20 metres from the house is limited to 10 square metres.

On designated land buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission.

  • Within the curtilage of listed buildings, any outbuilding will require planning permission.

*The term “original house” means the house as it was first built or as it stood on 1 July 1948 (if it was built before that date). Although you may not have built an extension to the house, a previous owner may have done so.


Please note, the permitted development allowances described here apply to houses and not to:

  • Flats and maisonettes
  • Converted houses or houses created through the permitted development rights to change use (as detailed in our change of use section)

For further reading, we would advise visiting this informative guide as set out by the government on which should answer at least some of your questions. However, we would love to hear from you and will do our level best to give you the best product and service the market has to offer. Get in touch with our expert team today or call us directly on 01491 612820.

Enquire about a Crown Pavilion or Garden Building today!

If you have any questions regarding any of the Crown Pavilions garden building collections, then please speak to our friendly team who will be more than happy to answer any queries you may have.

Book a Call

By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies to track usage and preferences. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.